Thursday, September 10, 2009

Remembering that day...

September 11, 2001...seems like just a short time ago, yet so much has changed.

David and I were practically still newlyweds being married only 5 months. We were both off work that day for some strange reason. No school to go to for me...so David and I were still halfway asleep when our radio alarm clock went off...it was sometime just before 8am....the radio was set to the Rick and Bubba show and they were talking with the local meteorologist I believe...then they started seeing reports on the news that one of the WTC towers was on fire...

David and I were listening when we heard the tone completely change on the radio show...they saw a plane hit the 2nd tower...immediately they knew that we were under attack. David and I sat up and watched the news for the next 2 or 3 hours in horror.

All day we watched tv...we cried...we called our parents...we watched more tv...it was so hard to watch but we couldn't tear ourselves away...for days it seemed we watched the events unfold.

Even 8 years later, I get chills thinking about that morning...now, I have children...I work full time...I have grown up. I have many friends and family members in the military serving to protect our country from future attacks. No one will forget this day, but its amazing how calloused we seem to become after time has gone by.

May we never forget the sacrifice made by the heroes on September 11th and those that have fallen for the cause since...

No comments: